Monday, December 12, 2011

Jesus

Do you all remember those pictures of Jesus that seemed to be everywhere (in my childhood at least) when you were a kid? Or the ones we see in churches and homes now? Do you ever wonder what Jesus really and truly looked like here on this earth? I have.

Perhaps it doesn't really matter what he looked like. But I suspect that's not true. I suspect that his appearance DID matter. That it, like all other things about his life, was very intentional. Designed to point people to God. Straight through Jesus the Man to Jesus Son of God and his heavenly Father.

Isaiah tell us that the Messiah, Jesus, "had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him, nothing in his appearance that we should desire him." Really? All those pictures of Jesus show a pretty handsome man, with even features, perfect skin, nice hair, etc. That doesn't seem to jive with what Isaiah is saying at all.

The passage in Isaiah 53 goes on to state that Jesus "was despised and rejected by men, a man of sorrows, and familiar with suffering. Like one from whom men hide their faces he was despised, and we esteemed him not."

Jesus was "like one from whom men hide their faces." I don't get the impression that Isaiah is talking just about Jesus at the end, when the people were calling for his death. Yes, people were drawn to Jesus and came in droves to hear him speak. They followed him and tried to touch his clothes. But this was after he began his public ministry and after people had seen him heal, had heard him speak. So, I think it was the truth in his words and the honest compassion with which he healed people that drew the crowds to him, not his appearance.

Think of the people in our society from whom "men hide their faces." Homeless sitting by the side of the road begging for change. The man out of work with a sign at an intersection. Men and women who are obviously sick. Perhaps the elderly. I know I for one am guilty of turning my head to some of these people when I walk by. I hide my face so that I won't connect with that person, so I won't have to interact, so I can pretend I don't see them. I'm ashamed to admit this, but I think I'm not the only one. Part of this "hiding" is from fear - I don't know what they are going through, I'm not sure I could help in any way, I simply don't feel like I can relate.

Well, Jesus was one of these people. One from whom faces were hidden. Perhaps mothers shielded their little children from him as he walked by. And the New Testament tells us that Jesus is with these people even today. "What you do for the least of these, you do to me." (That's a rough quote!)

Isaiah tells us that Jesus was "a man of sorrows and familiar with suffering." I wonder if this is referring to just his death or to his life as well. We know little of Jesus in his growing-up period. We see him in the gospels as a young boy and then again as a young adult in his 20s. Given the rest of what Isaiah says of Jesus, isn't it possible that he was familiar with suffering and sorrow before his public ministry? Before his trial and crucifixion? I think it's worth considering.

Does this passage change your view of Jesus? It does mine! We are called to know Jesus. To know God. Not just know about them, but really truly know them. A false or distorted view of Jesus the man goes against that calling. He was not regal in any way. People weren't drawn to him naturally. But people were drawn to what he had to say about God. The truth of God's word is what drew people in and won them over. The same is true today. It doesn't matter what we look like or what kind of standing we have (or don't have) in our society. In fact, the lower our human standing, the better! God loves to surprise people by speaking great truths from unexpected places and people. Praise God for that!

May God teach and bless each of you this Christmas as we celebrate the birth of this most amazing, humble man. I for one am so very grateful for Jesus! Celebrate him in unexpected ways this season. Look to those from whom you might normally turn your face and share Jesus with them. You never know how God will use you to touch another life. And what a great thing it is to be used by God!

1 comment:

  1. How humbling and encouraging. Thank you for posting this :)

    ReplyDelete